Friday, November 11, 2005

Sushil != Sashil

I had submitted the link I had posted earlier on how cars are made to Autoblog as a tip. They did put it up on their site yesterday(TGIF: Visit to a virtual automotive plant - Autoblog - www.autoblog.com ). They murdered my first name though.

This lead me to think of what I have been called so far. I am not naming any of the unprintable names I have been called but just the basic butchering of my name.
For the non software types "!=" in this post title means "Not Equal to" in the Java language.

I have been called the following so far :


  • Sushil - This is my name and what I prefer to be called though it is to be pronounced as "Susheel"
  • Susheel - am okay with this as well ...just dont add too many e's
  • Shushil - am reluctantly okay with this as well


The following I cannot handle as they are not my name:

  • Susil
  • Ceciel
  • Cecil
  • Sesil
  • Soosil
  • Sooshil/Soosheel
  • Sushli
  • Suse
  • Sushi - the most common
  • Sushli
  • Sashil - the newest.
According to Northwest Airlines I am Sushi L. Cherian. They got rid of my real middle initial of J and made seafood out of my first name !

And of course I get called feminine versions of my name when people dont realise I am male or want to have fun with my name:

  • Sushila
  • Susheeela

As for my last name (really Cherian - pronounced Che-ri-an with Ch pronounced like the "Ch" in chocolate" )I have been called/emailed the following:

  • Cerian
  • Cherryan
  • Serian
  • Sorian
  • Sherian
  • Sheridan
  • Sheridian

The most fun we had at work was when a co-worked named Doug received an email to him with a typo in his name from a very serious colleague who referred to him as "Dog" .

I know I know it isnt a big deal but it is a touchy subject when you have to bring it up to people. One has to do it though. Instead of making up a name that is convenient for people like Sam/Jake when your real name is Santhosharajan or Janakiraman ! I have made it so far without having to use a pseudonym. Just that I have to keep reminding people what my name is and how to pronounce and spell it.

Update: Silverines comment reminded me of another screw up that happenned. One of my coworkers got a visa to go to the US. But after getting the visa the person cannot go to the US ! How come ? Because on the visa the embassy decided "she" was a "he" ! So it is now worse than pulling teeth to get that mixup fixed ! People suggested she change from F to M in real life as well or just forget the US trip.

8 Comments:

Blogger That Girl said...

HAHHAHHA.. good post.. if you knew my name.. id be able to tell you about the Great Massacre during 1979 -2005......sigh..

dont worry.. ill remember how to spell your name...

at least your name isnt BOYD...like an unfortunate friend of mine .....He got his acceptance letter from his college...starting with... "HELLO BODY,"

November 11, 2005  
Blogger silverine said...

'Dog' was hilarious !!!! Inspite of repeated correction my name in the Voters list is still mis spelt. Some things cannot be changed I guess :))

November 12, 2005  
Blogger Danesh said...

I did not know that you were called so many names :) BTW, your name has been corrected in the Autoblog post.

November 12, 2005  
Blogger Lg said...

hilarious :)

November 13, 2005  
Blogger Arun R said...

Good one.... was laughing for quiet some time after reading this one....

Sushi and Sorian are the best!!!

ha ha ha.....

My simple first name has spared me this agony, but my surname gets the treatment whenever someone feels like giving it one.

The best treatment was done by me (Strangely!!!, when I was to make a presentation and was up late night making it. I made the title slide at 5am, and to my horror, I found that I had typed my name as "Panciker" instead of "Panicker"!!

November 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHHHH.... wouldn't a rose by any other name smell just as sweet :)
LOL!

November 14, 2005  
Blogger QuaTros said...

Nice one! :-)

November 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mate, I too have the same problem with my first name here in the middle east... finally I ended up introducing myself with the surname as they can't mess that up.. cheers.

November 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home