Monday, December 19, 2005

Project Management Proverbs

This has been out on the net for years but came across it again today. The IT Project Management Proverbs I & II. Of these I liked the following the most:
  • Any project can be estimated accurately (once it's completed).
  • The most valuable and least used WORD in a project manager's vocabulary is "NO".
  • The most valuable and least used PHRASE in a project manager's vocabulary is "I don't know".
  • Nothing is impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it.
  • You can con a sucker into committing to an impossible deadline, but you cannot con him into meeting it.
  • At the heart of every large project is a small project trying to get out.
  • Too few people on a project can't solve the problems - too many create more problems than they solve.
  • A change freeze is like the abominable snowman: it is a myth and would anyway melt when heat is applied.
  • A user is somebody who tells you what they want the day you give them what they asked for.
  • What you don't know hurts you.
  • A badly planned project will take three times longer than expected - a well planned project only twice as long as expected.
  • It takes one woman nine months to have a baby. It cannot be done in one month by nine women.
  • Fast - cheap - good: you can have any two.
  • Good project management is not so much knowing what to do and when, as knowing what excuses to give and when.
  • If everything is going exactly to plan, something somewhere is going massively wrong.
  • For a project manager overruns are as certain as death and taxes.
  • Some projects finish on time in spite of project management best practices.
  • Good project managers admit mistakes: that's why you so rarely meet a good project manager.
  • There is such a thing as an unrealistic timescale. The more ridiculous the deadline the more money will be wasted trying to meet it.
  • The first 90% of a project takes 10% of the time the last 10% takes the other 90%.
  • The project would not have been started if the truth had been told about the cost and timescale.
  • To estimate a project, work out how long it would take one person to do it then multiply that by the number of people on the project.
  • When the weight of the project paperwork equals the weight of the project itself, the project can be considered complete.
  • There is no such thing as scope creep, only scope gallop - Anything that can be changed will be changed until there is no time left to change anything.
  • If project content is allowed to change freely the rate of change will exceed the rate of progress.
  • If you can interpret project status data in several different ways, only the most painful interpretation will be correct.
  • A project gets a year late one day at a time.
  • If you're 6 months late on a milestone due next week but nevertheless really believe you can make it, you're a project manager.
  • No project has ever finished on time, within budget, to requirement - yours won't be the first to.
  • The first myth of management is that it exists.
  • If an IT project works the first time, it is wrong.
  • The person who says it will take the longest and cost the most is the only one with a clue how to do the job.
  • Difficult projects are easy, impossible projects are difficult, miracles are a little trickier.


Category: Software Industry Project Management


2 Comments:

Blogger Danesh said...

Are you planning to focus your posts only on the IT industry or will you move back to general banter soon?

December 19, 2005  
Blogger Sushil said...

I think I will still continue to post the odd general post but may try to focus more on the IT part. Either way it is still a bit too early to say.

December 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links:

Create a Link

<< Home